Love, Art, Life

Love, Art, Life

Saturday, August 27, 2011

Something touched me...

I am hoping this does not come off as preachy.  I often wonder if I sound that way.   I hope not.  I think I am a genuinely caring person, who wants to see the good for everyone in this world.  We are all stuck here, together, wouldn't it be nice if we could all get along?  If we could help one another.  Make things just a little brighter for everyone?

These are the things I think about regularly.  The earth, and all it's concerns: pollution, greedy people scarring her, being taken for granted.  Animals:  they cannot speak for themselves, and deserve love and respect just like the rest of us hope for.  People:  All the hurting people, suffering people, grieving people, the homeless, the list goes on and on.  (not necessarily in that order)

A friend of mine posted this video on facebook and I took the time to look at it.  She said it was a very short video that will have a big impact.  I think this is an important message, and would love for everyone to see it, and remember it.  Here it is...

I realize that this is a commercial.  But I think the message here is very real.  It's a message I have hoped to spread for years.  I am one of those who has a story that people generally can't see on the outside. There have been times I've felt that no one noticed, and I wondered if anyone even cared.  

As TWLOHA says though, Love can change a life.  I know.  It has changed mine. 
 
I am seriously blessed to be surrounded by loving, caring people now, who know me and still want to be there.  But it wasn't always that way.  I have felt very alone even in a crowd of people.  I have grieved and no one noticed.  I have cried in the shower, or in my car, or in my bed because I couldn't share what was going on inside with anyone.  This post is not to cause anyone to feel bad.  But to think.  And then to act.  

It can be such a simple thing really.  Like looking someone in the eye and answering them when they ask how you're doing today, as they man the counter wherever you are.  Or not getting upset with the clerk who is screwing everything up, and seems she shouldn't be working there.  Maybe she's having a bad day, maybe her dog died, maybe.... who knows.  It could be any number of things.  Or how about patiently waiting while someone on the phone helps you with your problem, and they don't seem to be getting it...  Opening the door for the elderly lady walking behind you.  Smiling at a passerby and saying hello.  Listening when someone is trying to talk to you.  Hearing what they are saying.  


One of the things that has changed my life is finding help in recovery groups.  Groups like Alcoholics Anonymous, Adult Children of Alcoholics, Codependents Anonymous, Ala Teen, Overeaters Anonymous, there are even more.   The other major thing is self-love.  I know, it's not always easy.  I have been there.  Life is hard.  Sometimes we feel we have no one who understands.  It is at those times that we most need the friendly gestures of strangers.  To give us just a little bit of hope.  Consider this:  that simple kind act you just did for someone could be the lifeline they needed thrown to them as they were drowning...  

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Thanks for posting this Geenie, a great message, not a sermon. You bravely write from your heart. Hugs, Rachel

Geen Grey said...

awww thanks Rachel! I didn't even share this and you still found it. Love and hugs to you too!! G