Love, Art, Life

Love, Art, Life

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Art Journaling 101 part 2

Since I wasn't feeling too well last night, and since I didn't want the post to be too long I didn't get to a few notes yesterday.  These things stick with me, and I wake up all night long thinking about all the things I forgot to mention and how disappointed you'll be if something doesn't work out because I didn't warn you- so forgive me- this is the rest, plus some pics stage by stage for an example.

So, as I said first get something, anything on the blank page.  Here I used some blue paint and white gesso  mixed together on the page.  Notice that I did not pre-mix the paint, nor did I overwork it as I liked the streaky mottled effect.  This could also have been achieved with blue and white paint.  I had gesso so I used it.

 Then I took some scraps of paper, a wrapper, whatever I had around and laid them out on the page so I could plan what it would look like.  Although honestly I only did this step for you.  My usual approach is to let things just happen as they will.  Normally I would have just started gluing everything  down randomly and let come what may.  Sometimes it works out- and sometimes it doesn't and that's ok with me.
Next I stuck it all down.  For this step you can use whatever you have on hand.  Mod Podge, tape, masking tape, glue, even duct tape- try not to get hung up on the materials unless you are going for a certain look.  Here I used Gel Medium to stick it all down.  With the exception of the wrapper which I had to use double stick tape to get to stick.  Although honestly I considered masking or duct tape for ease of use.  I had double stick tape on hand though.
As you can see in the end I changed the arrangement of the papers anyway.  It just felt better to me this way.



The final step, and I think the most important is the journaling.  (please excuse the blob at the top of the page, I thought it best to remove any names to protect the innocent.  And as you can see I am no digital artist...)  Here I write whatever sort of sums up my day. Or more specific things if I'm in that kind of mood.  It's really entirely up to you, and how you're feeling.  Speaking of feeling I forgot to mention that I always listen to music while I work.  I think it helps stop all the obsessive, perfectionistic thinking.  Give it a try.

 And finally here are a few close-ups so you can see some detail.  I did end up using a dream stamp you'll notice after I glued it all down, before I journaled.  As I said don't get hung up here on supplies.  The Art Heals was also done with stamps, but I would have used my computer and printer if I hadn't had these...




And that is all there is to it.  You can do it!  I know you can!!


A note about papers:  I like the mixed media sketchbooks because they are made to hold up to watercolors, and paints.  If you are using regular paper, or thinner paper like regular book pages please glue a few pages together beforehand to give it some stability.  Or you can also use gesso to help add strength to the page.  Also this can be translated to all art forms.  I have seen pages with stuff stitched on them (with a machine, or by hand).   Poets and writers can make a base and print out their work if they'd like.  I've even seen a picture of some cute little knit or crocheted things stuck to the page. Crayolas are always available and perfectly suited for this.  I use them  sometimes myself, especially if my inner child wants to color.  It is entirely up to you, that is what I love about it.  And forget being perfect.  I am consistently guilty of 'crimes of imperfection' as one Etsy seller aptly put it.  I like imperfection.  It serves as a visual reminder to me to relax.  Nothing in this world is perfect.  I even kept a mimatched set of rocker and footstool once because it reminded me to relax my perfectionistic ways.

Remember this is not meant to be another exercise in beating up on yourself!  It is meant for your eyes only.  Your deepest, darkest thoughts and longings can be freely recorded in here.  And I hope they will.  We all need a place to just be whoever we are without apology.  So have fun!  Make something beautiful.  Make something ugly.  Just make something from your heart.  Let that child within you play and color.  Let me know how it goes for you!

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Great Geenie, thanks for taking the time to encourage others. :-)

Cindy said...

I love this. I always thought I had to be artistic to keep an art journal, but I don't. And it sounds so relaxing and freeing. Thank you, Geenie. You are so special!

siouxsiepoet said...

nice gee, thank you for doing this.

Cindy said...

Geenie,

You should know that because of your last two posts, I made photocopies of Sweetie's photograph (the one that Suzanne had made for me.) I plan on buying an art journal and starting with her. Even the thought of it feels so healing.

Thank you for opening the possibilities.

Geen Grey said...

Awwww thanks Rachel, Cindy, and Suz! I appreciate your kind encouragment!

Cindy, it really touches my heart that this may help you. That's what art journaling is for. Healing of the heart. I know that Sweetie is a huge loss for you- I think it would be very special to start with her! There is so much you could do with her memory and your memories of and with her, it moves me just thinking about it. I hope you do try it. If you need anything, any kind of help, or anything, you know I am here.