Love, Art, Life

Love, Art, Life

Friday, April 20, 2012

An addition to (the wheeled) family




We have very exciting news!  I don't want to spoil it until I can take pictures though, so you'll have to hang in there.

We have been sort of stalled out on Pearl restoration waiting for this big news.  And it's big!

I guess we are 'purists' when it comes to many things.  I would say we are with The Pearl; and now with Baby I think we'll end up going that way as well.  As much as I love shiny and new, I don't need everything in my life to be that way.  I appreciate age, wisdom, charm.

I noticed a commonality with Vintage Trailer pictures I am drawn to.  They are just about always white.  That is to say that the interior is painted white, or redone in a light color.  Something about the light, the bright, the airy feel it gives things. Not to mention one could replace things, and have them  be new in this sort of restoration.  In a perfect world I could have it all.  But The Pearl's interior is Birch and in our opinion not damaged enough to completely re-do, or even paint.  I just can't imagine covering up all her original beauty.



The same with Baby.  Today while out and about we came across an old Corvair in the parking lot of Trader Joes.  My daughter and I stopped to admire her.  She was beautiful, shiny, new interior, completely re-done, if not restored.  Wouldn't that be wonderful?  I thought.  But the more I think about it I think maybe not.  I don't know, I mean, things age, people age, and I don't believe they become less beautiful.  I would never submit myself to such modern day tortures as face lifts, tummy tucks, or even botox.  It just goes against everything I am.

 I feel the same way about Baby and The Pink Pearl.  Sure they show their age, but what's wrong with that?  It's a messed up society I live in, where everyone attempts to stall out appearance wise at 30.  It reminds me of a movie I saw last year-  In Time.  I thought it was an interesting, very thought provoking movie about a society where everyone stops aging at 25 and are engineered to only live one more year....  unless they can buy more time.  Of course this mean life ends for the masses, who work all they can to buy more time, while the wealthy basically have immortality.  Everyone is young, everyone is beautiful.  I do recommend it if you have the time.





The truth is that where I live it does matter, to a lot of people.  It's all about facade.  Beautiful and youthful on the outside, but the insides, who knows?  I guess I prefer honesty to appearances.   I find the saying 'with age comes wisdom' to be absolutely true.  I can't imagine wanting to trade that for youth, or the appearance of youth.  So it goes with Baby and The Pearl.  I can't help but think of Susie...  remember her??







2 comments:

Erik said...

I second and third everything you say. We'd all be better off enjoying beauty in all it's forms rather trying to shoehorn everything into very small windows of what is beautiful.

I can't wait for the "big reveal" and will add for everyone that it involves a bit of a road trip this weekend...

Sandee said...

I LOVE this susie video...had to post it on facebook so cute..(and true)