Love, Art, Life

Love, Art, Life

Monday, July 25, 2011

Back from Boston




Recently I had the opportunity to take a trip on my own, to Boston for my sister's graduation.   I've been back about a week now, back into "Mom" mode, and out of "me" mode.  It was a very nice time while it lasted.  I had time to draw, time to think, time to sleep.  Time to do anything I wanted.  It's been about 18 years since I've had that.

Lil Gee had some adventures while we were there.  You can read about them here: Lil Gees Adventures, the blog


So while I was there  I had a chance to re-read Codependent No More by Melody Beattie.  An excellent book I read about 20 years ago, and have since learned that I need to read it again.  These are some pictures of my art journal pages done in Boston.  A lot of the writing is quotes from Codependent No More.  It is a constant struggle for me to put myself on my own list.  That's where my adventures in art have re-surfaced.  As a healing tool.  A learning tool.  A growing tool.  Art is a way of expressing myself, and learning and growing through visually working out what's going on.

I have always been a journaler.  And I believe journaling really helps.  My art journal combines the two.  Some art and a little bit of journaling.  Sometimes I still write poetry and prose, and those are included in my art journal too.

One thing I learned while in Boston.  We all need time of our own.  Time to think.  Time to re-charge.  I know, I know, you hear that all the time now.  It's everywhere I look anyway, I imagine it's the same for you.  All I know is I had some time of my own, and I came back refreshed.  With a whole new attitude, and outlook.  If you havn't tried it I highly recommend it.   Year after year I knew this was one thing I needed, but could never justify taking it.  Now that I have I can see more of this in my future.  It is hard to be all things to all the people and pets in my life at all times.  I learned that sometimes I 've just got to take time to be me.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I am guessing that while you were flying back and forth you got to hear the lecture about putting your OWN oxygen mask on first before trying to help anyone else? Did you hear that? Airplane instructions are VERY IMPORTANT. You need to listen to them and then apply as needed. :-) You go girl.

Geen Grey said...

You know Rachel, it's funny you say that because that always runs through my mind. Do I take the advice? Not always, but it does occur to me... :) Thanks for reading and commenting!! Nice to know you're playing along.